All men of action are dreamers.
My iPhone and my Dream Book are my dream allys and the worst enemy for apathy and laziness.
I have a Dream Book where I write all my dreams
and wishes for a better life. In this book, I write the all of my elaborate and simple dreams and the plans for how I want my life to be. From losing weight, to Grad School to owning property, I write it down.
One thing I do differently from many others who choose keep a similar jorunal is that I write an action plan for each dream that I want. If I want to lose weight, I write it in my book and write at least 5 steps I need to take (or should stop taking) to attain that dream. Here’s something you don’t know about me- I’m a list junkie. I have to make lists and I even have to-do lists that refer to other to-do lists. In a world where technology is taking over and making it easier to type than to actually write with pens or pencils, I see taking the time to write out my dreams as the first effort in my self-improvement projects. If you’re interested in starting a Dream Book as well here are the steps:
- Find a small notebook, or a notebook that you can carry around with you
- Start Dreaming
- List reasonable and detailed action steps to begin your goals. It’s also helpful to incorporate small victories and rewards for your goals so that it becomes a fun and manageable journey rather than an arduous task. An entry would like this:
Goal: Lose Weight
- no more soda
- fast food reduced to once a week (gradually ween off)
- go out for a walk/run every morning
- start couch to 5k
- join boxing class or Zumba
- eat more fruit vegetables and fiber
- remove fatty and unhealthy food from cookbook replace with vegetable rich food
- no meat Monday
There is no right or wrong way to dream. This is my method. The trick is finding the balance between dream and action and staying there. Dreaming can only take you so far- it is up to you to put in the work to make that dream come true. All things are possible and remember that you deserve to live your dreams.
Side note: Today is the Second day of the November 2011 edition of the 31 Days to Reset Your Life Challenge courtesy of the Happy Black Woman blog. If you’d like to join me, simply follow the links above!
Stay well, everyone.